We are looking for an experienced Company Secretary in this important role as a key adviser to our Group Board, to work closely with our Executive Committee through this exciting growth phase of our business.
The successful candidate will be based in Guernsey, Jersey or the UK and there will be the option to work flexibly between being office based and working from home.
There will likely be some travel to our various key office locations, if the location of key meetings requires. On occasion it may be necessary to work longer hours in preparation for key meetings or to complete reports, such as the company annual report, for regulatory deadlines. Part-time work is available.
- Providing guidance to the Board on their responsibilities in relation to the relevant governance requirements
- Ensuring good information flow between the Board and its Committees
- Maintaining shareholder relations and keeping the Board informed on shareholders’ views
- Enhancing and overseeing the governance framework that ensures the company complies with the applicable codes, laws and regulations, including how it responds to any changes in relevant legislation / regulation
- Working closely with the Executive Committee in developing and delivering high quality reporting to the Board
- Maintaining statutory books and registers, including the share register, the register of directors, the documentation on data protection, and the documentation on conflicts of interest
- Meeting our requirements in relation to filings: both annual filings and filings required based on key events, such as changes in directors
- Releasing announcements on TISE for the Group
- Ensuring that our requirements for meetings are met; including in relation to notice requirements, documentation requirements and any filings or updating of records
- Facilitation of induction and professional development within the Board as required
- Ensuring Group policies are maintained, approved and implemented as required
- Using the supporting administrative resources to ensure that the Board and AGM / EGM meetings are appropriately arranged (including materials being prepared and distributed in advance and necessary travel arrangements have been agreed with attendees); to ensure that these minutes are appropriately minuted; and to ensure that action items are captured and progress of action is tracked and reported;
- Managing the payment of dividends, in addition to a key role in share issues or other transactions
- Providing legal advice as required by the Board and / or Executive Committee in relation to key decisions, for example key contracts, or transactions. This may involve consulting with external legal advisers if required
- Overseeing the corporate secretarial services required at the underlying entity levels across the Group
The successful candidate will have at least 10 years’ experience in a Company Secretary role in our industry and within a listed company and a proven track record of operating successfully at this level, working closely with an executive committee and board. You will be qualified in governance and, in addition, legal training, qualification and experience is preferred.
- To have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- To be able to manage multiple responsibilities and progress the multiple workstreams, often working under pressure to the agreed timelines for key meetings
- To have an excellent eye for detail to ensure the quality of our reporting to our Board and shareholders
- To have working knowledge of company law and governance
- The ability to adopt a professional and commercial approach in the effective application of the law and governance requirements
- A strong understanding and working knowledge of Guernsey regulations and the stock exchange requirements
- To have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels across the Group, including the ability to work closely with and influence Board members and the Executive Committee
- To be able to take in and process large amounts of information and to distil from that and communicate the key messages and key action items
- The capability to work with numerical information, plus analytical and problem-solving skills
- A diplomatic approach and the confidence to provide support to the Executive Committee and Board members
- Proven track record of working proactively and independently
- Trustworthy and discrete, keeping the matters discussed at Board meetings confidential as required
Applicants in Jersey please read the following:
Five years’ Jersey residency is required for this role, in adherence with the Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law 2012.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Katie LathamHuman Resources Officer
- +44 1481 755540